Volunteer Group founded in 1974 for the preservation and restoration of the Church of St Jerome and St Roch (San Girolamo and San Rocco) in Prada.
Casella postale 19, 6504 Bellinzona/Ravecchia
When beloved ‘Seve’ passed away in 2000, Angelo Bomio-Pacciorini was appointed president of the group.
He continued the restoration and preservation works of the church by laying the groundworks for the battle against humidity in the walls, which has always pestered the church.
Under Angelo’s administration, apart from the conservation and improvement works of the structure, among which the renovation of part of the supporting wall of the parvis and water drains, it was possible to begin with the restoration of decor and artistic works.
Some of these restorations are: the remake of the bells framework and of the wooden floors of the bell tower; the restauration of the altar; and the restoration of frescos in the choir and on the lunette of the portal.
During these restorative interventions, workers discovered and subsequently restored frescos adorning the triumphal arch that date to the late medieval period.
In 2017, the administration of the society goes to Aaron Pacciorini-Spassiggia, who continues both the battle against humidity in the walls with the help of the latest technological means and the publicizing and promotion of the historic heritage of the Prada church of St Jerome and St Roch.
In 2014, ‘Nümm da Prada’ became a society and since then collaborates in close partnership with the Prada Society; the current president of the former is a permanent member in the council of the latter.
- 400m-long ditch to carry potable water from Mugnasc (La Bola) to the public fountain.
- Complete remake of the roof with stone slabs from Calanca Valley and paid in a short time thanks to the campaign ‘una pioda per Prada – a stone slab for Prada’.
- Ceiling tiles clearing and remake.
- Doors and windows substitution.
- Installation of the church electric system powered by generator.
- Construction of the cable car from Serta to Prada for transfer of materials.
- Restoration of the altarpiece and of the painting depicting St Francis.
- Remake of church facade.
- Remake of the wooden surfaces inside the bell tower.
- Reconstruction of a portion of parvis wall due to collapse risk.
- Cutting of some firs (picea abies) that were endangering the safety of the church.
- Restauration of the altarpiece and lunette stucco frames.
- Altar restauration.
- Dig for a new clear water pipe due to the draining of the original water source.
- Restauration of frescos in the choir.
- Complete substitution of the bell framework beams.
- Restoration of the fourteenth-century frescos on the triumphal arch.
- Internal plaster removal of the wall facing the mountain up to a hight of 120cm due to humidity
- Placing of a device inside the church against capillary humidity of the walls.
|01.06.20||Feast of Pentecost|
|August||St Roch’s Day (date tba)|
|11.00||Celebration of Holy Mass|
An afternoon of fun will follow with live music and lottery
(in case of adverse weather conditions,the feast is going to be either annulled or postponed).